Thursday, March 24, 2011

getting over the habit of judging people

It often happens so easily, so rapidly - as long as it takes for my gaze to rest on something or someone and deem it/them good or bad, appealing or unappealing. And it happens so often in our lives that it becomes habitual; it happens without our even realizing it has happened and without even recognizing how it shapes the choices that follow. Judgment happens. However, it seems that when we bring a mindful awareness to the moment at hand we can catch ourselves in the act of judgment, and we can choose not to judge. This releasing, too, can become habitual.

A story told by Theophane the Monk in his book Tales of the Magic Monastery:

I asked an old monk, "How do I get over the habit of judging people?"

He answered, "When I was your age, I was wondering where would be the best place to go to pray. Well, I asked Jesus that question. His answer was, "Why don't you go into the heart of my Father?" So I did. I went into the heart of the Father, and all these years that's where I've prayed. Now I see everyone as my own child. How can I judge anyone?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

When even the shadows can heal

           Yet more than ever believers were added to the Lord, great numbers of both men and women, so that they even carried out the sick...