Wednesday, February 22, 2012

An Ash Wednesday prayer

On this Ash Wednesday I am grateful to have come across the following prayer. It is written by Howard Thurman, a wonderful 20th century scholar, theologian, mystic, and human being. May you know the nearness of the Beloved as you begin the Lenten journey.


I surrender to God...


I surrender to God the nerve center of my consent. This is the very core of my will, the mainspring of my desiring, the essence of my conscious thought.

I surrender to God the outlying districts of myself. These are the side streets down which I walk at night, the alleys of my desires, the parts of me that have not been laid out with streets, the wooded area, the swamps and marshlands of my character.

I surrender to God the things in my world to which I am related. These are the work I do, the things I own or that threaten me with their ownership, the points at which I carry social responsibility among my fellows, the money I earn, my delight in clothes and good food.

I surrender to God the hopes, dreams and desires of my heart. These are the things I reserve for my innermost communion; these are the fires that burn on the various altars of my life; these are the outreaches of my spirit enveloping all the hurt, the pain, the injustices and the cruelties of life. These are the things by which I live and carry on.


- Howard Thurman, from Meditations of the Heart


No comments:

Post a Comment

When even the shadows can heal

           Yet more than ever believers were added to the Lord, great numbers of both men and women, so that they even carried out the sick...