Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Birthnight


Henry Ossawa Tanner, Study for Nicodemus Visiting Jesus (c.1899)


Nicodemus, the Pharisee who appears at three critical moments in the Gospel of John, has always fascinated me as a character. For me he represents the willingness to remain curious, to allow one's understanding and heart to be expanded beyond what we assume or expect. I wrote the following poem after spending time meditating on Nicodemus' first appearance in the Fourth Gospel, his nighttime conversation with Jesus (John 3:1-21). It seems that Nicodemus gets far more than he bargained for in the encounter and I imagine him spending sleepless hours contemplating what he has yet to fully comprehend. I think of it as Nicodemus' birthnight.


Birthnight: A Song of Nicodemus
 
I don't know what compelled me
to seek you this night.
You were not hard to find,
but once found you were

hard to apprehend. Words
bent strangely in the darkness
turning corners I did not expect.
You must be born of

water
wind
spirit.

I saw mother and father, felt the warm
swell of blood into skin that comes
when pleasure joins pain. And after so long
felt again the rising tingle on my scalp

that faithful signal of discovery.
But what have I found here?
More has been unsaid than spoken
my answers taken and mysteries given.

You send me out riven and raw
uncertain which path to follow.
I only know that I cannot return home
to heaps of scrolls and words upon words

so I wander dark streets
past Herod's temple to the
tombs of Kidron where I sit down
and watch for the morning.



Eric Massanari
First published in Desert Call, Spring 2016




1 comment:

  1. God bless you. You are a good writer. I enjoyed reading your poem - well done!

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete

When even the shadows can heal

           Yet more than ever believers were added to the Lord, great numbers of both men and women, so that they even carried out the sick...