Tuesday, August 28, 2012

this way











There is a Way
     over untraveled ground.

     To go this Way
          is to come home.

          To find this Way
               is to get lost.

               To begin this Way
                    is to come to the end.

                    To survive this Way
                         it's best to take nothing.

               Presumptive guides
                    will try to sell you maps.

          They will say ridiculous things
               like, "Safe travels!"

     And direct you to neon avenues
          with a grin and a wave.

True guides will wait
     to celebrate your foolish steps!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Eric. This speaks to me in light of my recent weeks and years--perhaps differently than you intended--but still I can identify with each stanza.

    Notes:

    I get a sense of hope from the first several stanzas and of course the last.

    I struggle most with the survival stanza--how can I "translate" to my situation?

    Just thoughts. Again, thanks, thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete

When even the shadows can heal

           Yet more than ever believers were added to the Lord, great numbers of both men and women, so that they even carried out the sick...