Friday, March 12, 2010

crossing paths

This day, like most days, will bring many crossed paths.

I consider how often these encounters happen with little awareness. A greeting, "How's it goin'?" happens while the feet are still moving, and the eyes have already cast their glance further down the road. We have such important duties and destinations.

I consider how often my way of encountering you contains silent assumptions: surely your thoughts are not traveling as far as my thoughts, and surely your feelings do not dive as deep as my own.

Yet, how often have I been surprised by an I-had-no-idea sort of moment, when there is enough of a pause in time and attention to learn that you have been carrying a loss beyond my imagining; you are bearing a burden that surpasses my strength; you are bursting with a joy that the world so dearly needs; you are ready to speak a mystery that will raise the hair on my arms. How often have I been surprised by the wonder of Presence, in the one who crosses my path?

I am tempted to say, "Not often enough." But such thoughts only make my feet move faster and my eyes look beyond what is here. Perhaps we can simply linger a bit longer when our paths cross this day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

When even the shadows can heal

           Yet more than ever believers were added to the Lord, great numbers of both men and women, so that they even carried out the sick...